Fire agencies are battling more than 14 fires raging across eight counties in Northern California - however, there is no fire currently within the Healdsburg city limits, and the City has not instituted a mandatory evacuation.
Fitch Mountain area residents are advised: You may see a glow over the hill or over the neighboring ridges -- those are fires in Calistoga and Geyserville, fires that we are already battling. The weather forecast tonight calls for light and variable winds this evening, unlike the strong winds of last night, but if you see active flames and/or if you feel that there’s an immediate fire threat, please call 9-1-1.
Evacuation Shelter: 1557 Healdsburg Avenue
The City has opened an evacuation shelter at 1557 Healdsburg Avenue (the Community Services Center) for people fleeing the Tubbs Fire in Santa Rosa or other fires in Sonoma County. Water, coffee, meals, and cots are provided. Small animals (dogs, cats, birds etc.) are welcome.
We currently have the volunteer support we need, but if that situation changes, we will update our needs via our Facebook and Nextdoor pages. However, the American Red Cross is accepting volunteers; please call (707) 577-7600 or visit http://www.redcross.org/volunteer/volunteer-opportunities/disaster-volunteer
We are currently not accepting any donations at the Community Center. We will share information about specific needs as they arise through our Facebook and Nextdoor pages.
Safety Tips from the Sonoma County Sheriff
Please heed this advice to help keep safe:
- Do not call 9-1-1 for general information. ONLY call for an emergency such as unattended, active flames and life-threatening emergencies. Please keep these lines open for emergency responders.
- If you are in a safe place and not in a mandatory evacuation area, please stay in place and keep roads available for emergency personnel.
- Due to significant smoke in the region, please stay indoors as much as possible.
- Evacuation orders remain in effect and areas are unsafe. Do not enter a road that is closed or attempt to return to your home before evacuation orders are issued.
In addition, get the CalFire Wildfire Evacuation Guide to increase your safety and that of your home: http://www.readyforwildfire.org/Go-Evacuation-Guide/.
If you see or smell smoke, keep in mind the following:
- Consider staying inside to avoid breathing smoke particles.
- Run your air conditioner, making sure to keep the fresh air intake closed and the filters clean.
- Do not run swamp coolers. They will pull smoky air in from outside.
- Masks do not protect your lungs from smoke particles.
Where to Get Information
- Go to our Facebook page, www.facebook.com/CityofHealdsburg, and our Nextdoor page (CityofHealdsburg).
- Sonoma County Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SonomaCountyCal
- Sonoma County Twitter: https://twitter.com/CountyofSonoma
- Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office Nixle: https://local.nixle.com/sonoma-county-sheriffs-office/